Anne woke up with the realization we are going to be here for a few days, and she was determined to get us off this wet boat and out exploring. We rented a car and planned to go north to Sarasota Springs. The car rental office told Anne a young man would pick us up shortly here at Lock 2. After half an hour, he called admitting he was lost and asked for help. Anne repeated we were in the Erie Canal, Lock 2 at 5th and Broad. Ten minutes later he called again, and again twice more.
We waited out on the street corner almost an hour before he arrived apologizing for having gone to the wrong lock. As we traveled back to the rental office, he hesitated, then stopped and tried to figure out on his cell phone where we were. Anne volunteered to guide him using his GPS capable smart phone. He finally admitted to us this was his first day on the job and he was somewhat new to the area. Anne tried to comfort him, saying that we all have a first day on the job, and he should not let it bother him.
Arriving at the office, the young ambitious gal behind the desk remarked sarcastically that it had been 1 1/2 hours, and it was about time he got back! We are fairly certain he got a good working over after we left and that those two might not get along well henceforth. Anne is worried about this nice young man.
The Waterford Visitor Center docks we left yesterday are now floating near the peak extent of their holdings, the cement walkways next to the docks are under at least a foot of water, and the famous green square across the channel is totally submerged. The NY Canal Corporation was right in moving us when they did, and we are much more appreciative of that today.
|Great Laker was on the outside of this floating dock|
|The walkway and patio in front of the Visitors Center under water|
Saratoga Springs is best known for mineral water springs, beautifully restored homes, horse racing, and a nearby Revolutionary War battleground. Plus, this moderately sized town (26,000) has a surprisingly upscale shopping street which we walked after gathering information at the Visitors Center. Our walk also took us past the Colombian Spring, first discovered in 1803 on a farm, which the Indians claimed had healing powers. Today, the area has many hotel/spas for tourists, which tout magically healing springs. We drove Union Avenue among the many historic homes and passed the well known Saratoga Race Course which opened in 1863.
|The Columbian Spring (1803)|
|48 Union Avenue, a 1906 Colonial Revival|
|Saratoga Race Course|
|Freeman Farm battle site|
|Bemis Heights overlooking the Hudson River|